Tuesday, May 19, 2009

First Preview of "Covenant" - Character profile: Analise Helkiah

With the release of Chapter One of the graphic novel, Covenant, just weeks away, I thought I'd put together a little preview by introducing my main female character, Analise Helkiah. And what better way to do that then by staging an interview with her! So, let's begin.
-
One-Wing: So, Analise, tell us a little about yourself.
-
Analise: I, uhm, well, my name is Analise Helkiah -- that's obvious, I guess. I'm seventeen, and I'm a student at a private school called Millsworth.
-
One-Wing: And how do you like it there?
-
Analise: I, well...I don't, really. Not for the most part, anyhow. Most of the people who go there are really wealthy, and well... it's hard not to be jealous, since I'm not, really.
-
One-Wing: Do you have many friends?
-
Analise: Just one, really; my best friend, Emmy Klondale. I guess we get along because we both feel like we don't fit in well with everybody else. Emmy doesn't like fancy stuff much...she's more of an active-type personality. I guess I'm kind of that way too, though I'm not as, I don't know... outgoing as she is, you could say.
-
One-Wing: And what about your family, Analise?
-
Analise: I'm an only child. As for my parents, I rarely get to see them, really; they're always working. I know they mostly do it for me, so that they can afford to send me to Millsworth and such... but I get lonely a lot.
-
One-Wing: Is there anything else intersting about you that you'd like to share?
-
Analise: Well... *long pause* Honestly, not really. My life isn't very interesting at all. I sometimes wish that... I don't know, that something more exciting would happen, that maybe I could be a part of something... I don't know. I guess I wish for things a lot. I just wish things could be different.
-
One-Wing: What are some of the things you wish for?
-
Analise: Well, lots of things, really. I wish my family was better off so my parents didn't have to work so much. And I wish I were...I don't know...more noticable. Not that I want tons of attention. I suppose I just want to be significant somehow.
There's this one girl at my school; she's rich and pretty, and she gets good grades too...she just seems to have everything, and I guess I envy her a lot. She has a boyfriend too ... not that I ... I mean I guess it'd be nice if... well, never mind. Sorry if I babble too much.
-
One-Wing: Without giving away too much, at the end of the first chapter, you meet two interesting and strange new people. What are your thoughts about them?
-
Analise: I... I ... I really don't know what to think. The one guy, he's just ...really strange. He makes me feel awkward, a lot. It's hard to explain, though if you met him, you'd know what I mean, I think. As for the other person... I ...
-
One-Wing: Yes?
-
Analise: I really don't know. Part of me wonders if that person was really real at all...or just my imagination...
-
One-Wing: Well, thanks for sharing with us, Analise. We look forward to learning your story when the graphic novel Covenant debuts in a few weeks!
----
I also used Analise in the character design contest held at my school last semester. (No, I didn't win.) Here is what the entry looked like:
(Warning: it is huge if you click on it.)

(Ooh, combat attire...I wonder what that could mean...)

No comments:

Post a Comment